“People love Jesus, but they do not like te church.”
That is the way Scot started out his teachings on Wednesday night. According to Scot it is the result of the gospel the church preached and still preaches. The church preached a gospel where the only thing that mattered was a personal salvation and a personal arelationship with God.
According to George Barna there are 20 Million Christians in the USA in whose life the church plays no significant role.
Out of personal discussions with these people Dan Kimball came to the conclusion that there are 6 reasons why this is the case:
1. The churches have to much of a political agenda when preaching the gospel.
2. The church is way to judgemental.
3. The church is way to much about males and not enough about females.
4. The church is way to obsessed with homosexuality while ignoring other sins.
5. The church is arrogant about other world religions.
6. There are to many fundamentalists in the church who believe everything the Bible says litterally.
According to Scot, what the Bible teaches us about Mary, will help us to understand this and to share the gospel as the church has the Power of Pentecost to Share.
Mary will lead us to Jesus, to the cross and to the church.
1. Mary receives God’s plan – what a wonderful and fesh way to think about that amazing song Mary sang after hearing that she is going to be the mother of Messiah.
2. Mary struggles with God’s plan – God was not working the plan He shared with Mary, the way Mary thought He should work his (their) plan. (What I heard is that God sometimes shares His plan with us and then we think God is no longer involved in His plan and no longer the owner of the plan, and that He should stand back and allow us to work His plan for Him. ) In Mary’s life God is working His plan in spite of the fact that Mary is struggling with Gods plan.
3. Mary surrenders to God’s plan – and Mary becomes part of a community that will live out the the will of God in the Kingdom of God.
Listen to Scot teach on THE POWER TO SHARE.